Influence of the Brown Marine Algae on the Physicochemical and Sensory Characteristcs of the Sausages

Claudiu Dan Sălăgean, Carmen Rodica Pop, Mihai Catrinoi, Melinda Nagy

Abstract


 

The aim of this study was to asses the influence of the brown algae on the quality in manufacturing of a certain halfsmoked sausages assortment.  Exploiting the natural plant resources as well as reducing the animal fat in the finished product by replacing it with proteins, fibers and minerals (provided by the brown marine algae) were also intended. Two technological variants with different ratios of algae (V1-10% respectively V2-15%) from those 25% of fat (the remaining of 75% beeing represented, in each case, by beef) were experienced and compared with the control sample (VM, without algae, 75% beef and 25% fat). The finished products were analyzed in terms of organoleptic and physicochemical, in different stages of storage, at 24 hours after obtaining and seven days of storage at 10 to 12 degrees. The correlations between investigated quality parameters and the ratios of algae were also established. The physicochemical analysis highlighted the highest values regarding the protein, moisture, sodium chloride and the lowest fat content values in the case of the V2 variant compared to the V1 and VM variants. Furthermore, an increase in protein, fat, sodium chloride and a decrease of the moisture content have been found in all variants observed during the storage. The shelf life of the product was not negatively affected by the addition of algae due to their antimicrobial activity. The addition of algae in combination with beef components led to obtaining a higher quality product with functional characteristics.


Keywords


algae, beef, physicochemical analyses, sausage assortment, sensory analyses

Full Text:

PDF

References


Burtin P (2003). Nutritional value of seaweeds, J Agric Food Chem ISSN, 1579 – 4377.

Cofrades S, López-López I, Solas MT, Bravo L, Jiménez-Colmenero F (2008). Influence of different types and proportions of added edible seaweeds on characteristics of low-salt gel/emulsion meat systems. Meat Science 79:767–776.

Dawczynski C, Schubert R, Jahreis G (2007). Amino acids, fatty acids, and dietary fibre in edible seaweed products. Food Chem 103(3):891 – 899.

Fleurence J (1999). Seaweed proteins: Biochemical, nutritional aspects and potential uses. Trends in Food Science and Technology, 10(1), 25 – 28.

Gupta S, Sabrina Cox, Abu-Ghannam N (2011). Effect of different drying temperatures on the moisture and phytochemical constituents of edible Irish brown seaweed, 1266 - 1272

Gupta S, Abu-Ghannam N (2011). Bioactive potential and possible health effects of edible brown seaweeds. Trends in Food Science and Technology, 22: 315-326.

López-López I, Cofrades S (2007). Posibilidades de la utilización de algas en el desarrollo de productos cárnicos potencialmente funcionales. Eurocarne, Año, VXII(157), 35 – 42.

López-López I, Cofrades S, Jiménez-Colmenero F (2009). Low-fat frankfurters enriched with n-3 PUFA and edible seaweed: Effects of olive oil and chilled storage on physicochemical, sensory and microbial characteristics, Meat Science 83, 148 – 154.

López-López I, Cofrades S, Ruiz-Capillas C, Jiménez-Colmenero F (2009). Design and nutritional properties of potential functional frankfurters based on lipid formulation, added seaweed and low salt content, Meat Science 83, 255 – 262.

Sălăgean CD, Ţibulcă D (2012). Researches concerning the dynamics of some physical-chemical modifications in first quality beef during the salting and tendering process. B UASVM Agriculture 69(2):386 – 389.

Sălăgean CD, Ţibulcă D, Jimborean M, Cheleman RA (2012). Researches regarding the influence of raw materials on economical, technical and qualitative parameters of a certain semi-smoked sausage assortment manufactured by the traditional and modern technology. Journal of Agroalimentary Processes and Tehnologies, Timişoara, 18 (1):28 – 34.

Sălăgean CD and Ţibulcă D (2014). Studies concerning the economic efficiency and quality of the vegetal sausages. BUASVM Food Science and Technology 71(1):73 – 74.

Simionescu C, Rusan V, Popa V (1974). Chimia algelor marine, Ed. Academiei R.S.R., BucureÅŸti.




DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15835/buasvmcn-fst:11558

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.





University of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine
3-5 Manastur St., 400372 Cluj-Napoca
Romania
Tel: +40-264-596.384 | Fax: +40-264-593.792 
biroupublicatii@usamvcluj.ro