Occurrence of Lead and Cadmium in some Baby Foods and Cereal Products

Edward MUNTEAN, Nicoleta MUNTEAN, Călina CRETA, Marcel DUDA

Abstract


Lead and cadmium poisoning can cause health problems, especially in the case of children. In this research, the distribution of the two heavy metals of high concern for human health was measured in several baby-food products; lead and cadmium were determined using atomic absorption spectrophotometry, measurements being performed using a Shimadzu AA-6300 double beam atomic absorption spectrophotometer with graphite furnace, equipped with deuterium lamp for background correction. 63 different baby-food and cereal products were investigated for their lead and cadmium content; in 49.21% from the samples were recorded levels of lead concentrations in the range 0.32-10.64 μg.kg-1, for the other 50.79% lead being under the limit of detection (LOD), while for cadmium more than 85% from samples ranged between 0.3 to 10.37 μg.kg-1 and for less than 15% of samples cadmium was under LOD. In milk powder, lead levels ranged from 0.85 to 7.26 μg.kg-1, with 68% samples under LOD, while cadmium concentrations ranged from 0.1 to 4.75 μg.kg-1, 18% samples having cadmium under LOD. Cereal based-products proved to be contributing most to infants’ and small children’s exposure with the studied heavy metals; however, none of the obtained data is higher than the maximum allowed levels according to Commission Regulation (EC) No 1881/2006.


Keywords


heavy metals, contamination, baby food, lead, cadmium, AAS.

Full Text:

PDF