Comparison of Physicochemical Parameters in Royal Jelly from Romania and Bulgaria

Crenguta Pavel, Ralitsa Balkanska

Abstract


Royal jelly is a highly active natural biological substance secreted from the hypopharyngeal and mandibular glands of young worker honeybees (Apis mellifera). The main quality parameters of royal jelly composition are water, proteins, carbohydrates, lipids, 10-hydroxy-2-decenoic acid, ash, pH and acidity. The aim of this study is to compare physicochemical parameters in royal jelly samples from Romania and Bulgaria in order to assess whether there are any differences between the samples from the both countries. The following parameters: proteins by Folin-Ciocalteu reagent; sugars (fructose, glucose, sucrose) by HPLC; water by refractometer and direct drying; total acidity by titration with 0.1 N NaOH and pH-potentiometrically were measured in 35 Bulgarian and 34 Romanian royal jelly samples collected from different regions of both countries. The values obtained for parameters in samples from Romania are as fallow: water 62.50 ± 3.52 %, proteins 13.04 ± 1.87 %, fructose 5.39 ± 1.12 %, glucose 5.41 ± 1.45 %, sucrose 1.19 ± 0.67 %, pH 3.99 ± 0.09 and total acidity 3.78 ± 0.53 ml 0.1 N NaOH/g). The samples from Bulgaria gave the following results: water 62.13 ± 1.90 %), proteins 15.83 ± 2.58 %, fructose 4.84 ± 0.81 %, glucose 4.51 ± %, sucrose 1.92 ± 1.21 %, pH 3.85 ± 0.18 and total acidity 3.90 ± 1.42 ml 0.1 N NaOH/g). Higher levels of protein and sucrose and lower levels of fructose content were found in Bulgarian royal jelly. Differences in climate between the two countries, even if they are small, and the intrinsic heterogeneity of royal jelly influence the composition of the product.

Full Text:

PDF


DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15835/buasvmcn-asb:70:1:9386




University of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine
3-5 Manastur St., 400372 Cluj-Napoca
Romania
Tel: +40-264-596.384 | Fax: +40-264-593.792 
biroupublicatii@usamvcluj.ro