Effectiveness of the Ovarian Scraping Method in In Vitro Maturation of Equine Oocytes During the Breeding and Non-Breeding Seasons

  • Hussam ARYAN University of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine Cluj-Napoca, Mănăștur St., No. 3-5, 400 372 Cluj-Napoca, Cluj
  • Omar MARDENLI University of Aleppo, Faculty of Agriculture, Mouhafaza street, No.15310, Aleppo
  • Ioan GROZA University of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine Cluj-Napoca, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine,, Mănăștur St., No. 3-5, 400 372 Cluj-Napoca, Cluj

Abstract

The current study aimed to study the feasibility of in vitro maturation of equine oocytes during the breeding and non-breeding seasons by using the ovarian scraping method. The collection of 752 ovaries resulted in 608 oocytes descending from 2824 ovarian follicles by the method of ovarian scraping at a rate of 21.53% and an average of 0.80 oocyte/ovary. During the breeding season, 432 oocytes were collected whereas 176 oocytes were collected in the non-breeding season. The results showed that the number of cultivable oocytes during the breeding season was 256 oocytes (59.25%), while the number of cultivable oocytes in the non-breeding one was 120 oocytes (68.18%) at the level of p <0.001. The application of oocyte collecting by scraping method allowed obtaining a number of 608 oocytes, of which a number of 376 oocytes (61.84%) were cultivable, the rest of 232 oocytes (38.16%) were classified as uncultivable. It is concluded from the current study that the application of the ovarian scraping method in horses contributes to obtaining a high and encouraging rate of oocytes that can be used in in vitro embryo production programs.

Author Biographies

Hussam ARYAN, University of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine Cluj-Napoca, Mănăștur St., No. 3-5, 400 372 Cluj-Napoca, Cluj

Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Veterinary Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproduction

Omar MARDENLI, University of Aleppo, Faculty of Agriculture, Mouhafaza street, No.15310, Aleppo

Department of Animal Production

Ioan GROZA, University of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine Cluj-Napoca, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine,, Mănăștur St., No. 3-5, 400 372 Cluj-Napoca, Cluj

Department of Veterinary Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproduction

Published
2022-11-14